Sunday, March 15, 2015

One Fixed Trust


I found this poem when I remembered singing this hymn that we sang today, and looked it up.  So I did an internet search.  And I saw the author and through a little googling realized that the hymn is just five of twenty-two stanzas in John Greenleaf Whittier’s poem, The Eternal Goodness.  And when I read the poem I knew that I had to share it with you. 


So here is the link, (I encourage you to take the time to read it before continuing below):

The Eternal Goodness by John Greenleaf Whittier


The goodness of God is the source of our experience of grace.
Grace is the realization that no matter what, God’s love endures forever,
If you are like me you have felt beat down by difficult times, illness, uncertainty with health or job or car or family….
We become beat down, bruised, and sometimes feel on the brink of breaking.

The prophet Isaiah speaks about the tenderness of God:
“A bruised reed shall he not break and the smoking flax shall he not quench” (Isaiah 42:3a)

The God we meet in the crucified is not unacquainted with suffering, but comes alongside us with tenderness and empathy and offers us assurance of the goodness that sees renewal on the other side of suffering.

And this is an immensely comforting theme in the scriptures to me.
When everything feels chaotic,
When I feel swamped in fear or threatened by uncertainty,
When I feel exhausted, and can identify very much with a bruised reed, with a smoking flax,
I remember the tenderness of the one who gave me life from the clay. 
I remember that it is this Creator God who made me, who is not cut off, separated from what God has made,
But is intimately interested in the continuing care and nurturing of the life and beauty of the creation –
There was one time when I felt so bogged down, so busy, so full of thoughts and worries, that I frustratedly confessed to a mentor: I am not able to pray and seek God’s presence.

And that mentor said to me.  But God already is present with you.

Yet, in the maddening maze of things,
  And tossed by storm and flood,
To one fixed trust my spirit clings;
  I know that God is good!

And we might add.  I know that God is here.
The God revealed in the cross is a God who is not absent from suffering,
But the God who is in the maddening maze of things,
Like an anchor in the storm, that in our panic we failed to realize was right in front of us.

“For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God— not the result of works, so that no one may boast.  For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life.”

It is a gift that we are continually offered.  A grace that urges us to trust in the goodness of God.

And it is a backward looking gaze of faith as the Psalm today makes clear.
See how God has brought us from difficulty into greater faith.
See what God has done, behold God’s works in our story, in the stories of others, in the experience of the Psalmist, in the experience of the poet.
It’s a backward looking gaze of faith – we gain assurance and strength by the community of those who have gone before us – by their trust, by their perseverance.

But it is most importantly a present looking gaze of faith.

It is looking to the one who said “Come to me all you who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”
And faith is a kind of rest of the heart in God’s eternal goodness.
Within the maddening maze of things we find an anchor in the goodness of God.  And we are reminded that there is something, someone who will catch us when we fall.  And a love which will sustain us into an uncertain future.

For it is by grace that we have been saved, are saved, and will be saved through faith.  And it’s not a matter of what we do or can externally amount to – God is not measuring us up to an ideal in order to decide whether or not we deserve God’s grace.

God is waiting as the still small voice for our striving and anxious thoughts to clear out and for us to listen again and feel again the intimate care and goodness that has sustained creation, is sustaining creation, and will continue to sustain creation into the fullness of time.

“I know not what the future hath
  Of marvel or surprise,
Assured alone that life and death
  His mercy underlies.”

This doesn’t make the difficult times, the uncertain futures less difficult or uncertain, but take comfort in the assurance that there is nowhere that we can wander where God’s steadfast love will not be with us.

“O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;

    for his steadfast love endures forever.”

No comments:

Post a Comment